Cathy Marston is a choreographer, artistic director, Clore Cultural Leadership Fellow and Governor of The Place (London). After education in Cambridge, she spent two years at the Royal Ballet School, before launching a successful international career now spanning over twenty years.
Cathy’s great gift is to join artistic dots, creating form for stories, emotions and ideas. She inherited a passion for literature from her English-teacher parents. For Cathy, stories inform dance. As Associate Artist of the Royal Opera House for five years, she created a critically acclaimed interpretation of Ibsen’s Ghosts. During her six year tenure in Switzerland directing the Bern Ballett, her British ‘respect for the playwright’ became influenced by the ideas of German theatre and ‘Director’s Theatre’, resulting in her unique, hybrid signature. Lending new perspectives to old narratives in her version of Bronte’s Jane Eyre, Chekov’s Three Sisters, Narbokov’s Lolita, or in her historically-inspired Witch-hunt: all are danced-stories stripped back to their essence and displaying high quality technique and unflinching expressive integrity.
“She has let the drama bleed through the dance.” Telegraph
Passionate about opening original ideas to new audiences, Cathy crafts unexpected matches between classical and contemporary art forms. Commissioning a new score for soprano voice and female beatboxer is an instance where she happily combined her artistic vision with practical prowess – a great personal achievement for Cathy.
“Quality is her byword… you could only smile at the perfection of it all.” Sunday Express
Cathy’s proudest moments include launching her charitable company, The Cathy Marston Project, rescuing Bern Ballett from threatened closure, as well as major creations for Danza Contemporanea de Cuba, Finnish National Ballet and Northern Ballet (and many more). With future collaborations planned in opera and theatre, further widening her portfolio of over fifty works performed in eleven countries, Cathy looks forward to continuing to charter new territory – both geographically and artistically.
Cathy has choreographed commissions for the following organizations:
- UK: The Royal Ballet; the Royal Opera House; Royal Opera, Northern Ballet; English National Ballet; George Piper Dances (Ballet Boyz); David Hughes Dance; The Ensemble Group; Central Ballet; Images of Dance; Encore Dance Company; Royal Ballet School; London Children’s Ballet; Grange Park Opera, Sonia Friedman productions, BBC4, Channel 4
- Switzerland: Bern Ballett, Ballett Basel, Ballett des Theater St Gallen
- Germany: Ballett im Revier - Gelsenkirchen; Ballett des Theater Koblenz
- Austria: Graz Oper Ballett
- Finland: Finnish National Ballet
- Denmark: Danish Royal Ballet; Copenhagen Summer Ballet
- Poland: Ballet of the Castle Opera, Sczeczin
- USA: Washington Ballet
- Cuba: Danza Contemporanea de Cuba
- Hong Kong: Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts
- Australia: Opera Australia